Go Spike Activator Award
What is an Activator?
The Go Spike Activator is role, aimed at increasing the number of people aged 16+ playing recreational volleyball on a regular basis. Sessions can run anywhere at any time; leisure centres, beach courts, parks, at work, youth centres, community groups, colleges, universities and existing volleyball clubs. Where there is suitable space indoors or out - volleyball can be played. The Award aims to engage players of all abilities, keeping sessions fun and focusing on participation through challenges and adapted games. The Activator may have a coaching background but the role is to facilitate activity not ‘coach’.
Who is the Go Spike Activator Award for?
The Go Spike Activator Award is suitable for:
- Upskilling a volunteer, current player or coach to become an Activator and facilitate recreational sessions
- Students looking to further their leadership skills
- Institutions looking to develop their recreational volleyball offer - participation may develop into inter-college/intramural league games
- The Activator role can enhance what a club already offers to recruit new recreational members through providing a lower cost Award course to upskill workforce and offer a structure for recreational sessions
- The Activator may have a coaching background but the role is to facilitate activity not ‘coach’
The Activator role offers a taster into what leading a volleyball session may involve. Activators may choose to step on to the coaching pathway to undertake a Level 1 Introduction to Coaching Volleyball Award
What Will the Go Spike Award Course Cover?
The Go Spike Activator Award course will cover the following themes:
- What makes a good Activator?
- Activator session planning
- STEPs principle (Space, Task, Equipment, People)
- Practical: challenges and adapted games
- Where next and participant retention
- Understanding promotion
By the end of the Award Activators will be able to:
- Facilitate and lead volleyball activity with participants new to volleyball – or those already playing recreationally
- Enthuse people to build confidence, engage them and sustain their participation
- Work with a club or institution to set up and run regular sessions; meet and greet participants and provide a social and welcoming atmosphere
- Introduce volleyball shots and rules
- Use the STEPs principle to choose appropriate practices, games and equipment according to the playing level of the participants
Go Spike Activator Award Duration and Costs
The Go Spike Activator Award course is 3 hours long and can take place during a morning, afternoon or evening.
The course costs £35.00 per person and each learner will receive a Go Spike Award resource booklet of challenges and adapted games.
Learners will need to come dressed for on court activity and bring a notebook and pen.
Pre-requisites to attend the Award
- You need to be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Be passionate about increasing the number of people playing recreational volleyball
- Knowledge of volleyball is desirable