Croyde King & Queen of the Beach
GoldCoast Oceanfest Parkdean King and Queen of the Beach
Please Note: Entries for the men's event will be capped at 112 players. Entries for the women's event will be capped at 96 pairs. Additional pairs will be put on a waiting list and contacted should a space become available.
Date: Sat 21st and Sun 22nd June 2014
Start time: 8.30
Venue: Croyde, North Devon
Cost: £23 per player (Saturday & Sunday included), £38.50 to include entry to the Goldcoast Oceanfest Festival grounds, £12.50 per team for Sunday tournament entry only (no reduced festival tickets are available for the Sunday only entry)
Entry Deadline: Entries and payment must be received by no later than 12 noon Tuesday 10th June 2014. If spaces available after this date then you may be able to enter as a late entry for £25 per player (Saturday & Sunday) or £25 per team for Sunday only.
Entry bands for the Gold Coast Oceanfest are available to buy for £15.50 for the whole weekend (Friday-Sunday) as part of the entry process. You can collect your entry band on Friday or Saturday morning from Denise Austin 07773382305.
Players entered into event on Saturday will automatically be entered into the Sunday competition.
Rules and Format: The competition will be run under FIVB regulations except using the King & Queen of the Beach scoring system. The tournament format will be determined based on the number of teams entered.
Wild Cards: If you wish to apply for a wild card to be seeded further up the competition for Saturday please email Denise Austin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note: The total number of entrants will need to equal a multiple of four in order for the pools to work - therefore any player that enters beyond the official deadline or after the maximum number of teams allowed has been filled, will have to have their space confirmed by the tournament director.
The tides for Croyde bay are quite high on the Saturday morning - however we will endeavour to get the tournament underway as soon as possible.
Insurance: The event will be registered and insured with Volleyball England.
Getting to Croyde Gold Coast
Getting to Croyde Gold Coast
From the M5, take Junction 27 towards Tiverton/Barnstaple.
- Follow signs for A361 to Barnstaple for approx. 38 miles.
- When you arrive at Barnstaple Town Centre, follow signs for A361 to Ilfracombe and then Braunton for approx. 5 miles.
- In Braunton, take a left turn at the traffic lights to Croyde/Georgeham, by the Hunter Surf Shop.
- Follow straight to Croyde approx. 4 miles.
- Go around the “S” bends and you will be able to see Croyde Beach.
- You will see the beach volleyball courts in the middle of the beach, parking is available at Down End, which is the first car park on your right BUT you can get closer to the tournament site if you carry straight on.
- Go into the village of Croyde, past all the pubs on your left and at the T-junction take a left past the garage, up the hill and take the next left turn into Moor Lane.
- Continue down Moor lane where “Ruda” will be on your right, parking is available opposite the Ruda entrance in Croyde Burrows.
- Walk down onto the beach and turn left.
- You are now at the tournament site!
The closest railway station to Croyde is Barnstaple. From the station you can get a shuttle bus to the main Bus station where there are hourly buses to Croyde.
By Coach: Coaches go to Barnstaple Central Station and from there, there are hourly buses to Croyde.
It is recommended to book your accommodation early as many places are already booked up due to Ben Howard headlining on Saturday night.
- Ruda is the best camp site for the venue, as it is only a short 2-5 minute stroll from your tent. They also have caravans which sleep 6-8 people. Their number is 01271 890500.
- Bay View, 01271 890501, and The Orchard are also other camp sites but they do not take advance bookings. At this time of year however, they should have availability.
- Alternatively Incledon Farm in Georgeham, which is about 2 miles from Croyde, is a farm camp site that will have availability - 01271 890200.
- There is a large range of B&B’s in Croyde. For more information, see www.devonaccomodation.co.uk
- Alternatively, some telephone numbers you can try include 01271 890245, 890765, 890537, 890429, 890757, 890064, 890384, 890489, 890753, 890781, 890350, 890606, 890349.
Food and Drink
Places to Eat and Drink:
- Croyde has 3 main pubs The Thatch, Billy Buds and The Manor. All of them offer great food.
- The Beach Bar will probably be open during the day/early evening and is conveniently located right by the beach.
- Another good café bar is Blue Groove.
- There will be catering vans and cafe on the beach
- For large shopping, the nearest Tesco is in Barnstaple, on the first roundabout as you come into Barnstaple.
- Alternatively there is a Somerfield in Braunton.
- Ruda has the largest supermarket in Croyde and Croyde Bay holiday Village is also a good general store.
Food and Drink during the Tournament:
- There is a beach café at the Ruda entrance to the beach.
- There is also a bakery at Ruda supermarket.
- A drinking water tap is located at the Ruda entrance to the beach by the wall of the beach bar.
Toilets: These are located at the Ruda entrance to the beach.
First Aid facilities: St John Ambulance.
For any questions or issues on the day, please contact Denise Austin on 07773 382305.
For any general information on volleyball or beach volleyball, contact the Volleyball England head office on email@example.com